- 1 Hmmmm
- 2 Origin of LOL, ROLF, etc
- 3 LOL = Love ol' LOLlipops!
- 4 Locked Page?
- 5 Could somebody with the ability to edit this...
- 6 dendro porn
- 7 Ehh
- 8 Wish I could add this...
- 9 Headline text
- 10 Accuracy
- 11 HAAAAAAAlp
- 12 Laughing out loud
- 13 lol
- 14 Derby Field
- 15 Pronunciation
- 16 Please add
- 17 LOL means laurence
- 18 this has been locked since 2006 and sucks unbelievably because of that
I THINK THIS SHOULD BE LONGER.
Origin of LOL, ROLF, etc
Lol started as a warcry when Gordon Brown iiv went to war with his hands up screaming "LOL!!!!!!!!!!" to freighten his enemy, the Spanish Armada.
| <--- Gordon Brown iiv \________| <-- Spanish Armada
If you really want to know the origin of LOL, etc. then you need to go back, way back to 1986 to a piece of software called The MajorBBS. The MajorBBS had built in chat actions which were abbreviated. Some of these actions were called LOL, ROFL, HUG, etc.
Example of the MajorBBS chat room:
You are in the main channel. Sysop, Kari, Billy and Dogma are here with you. Type "?" for assistance. *** :lol *** Y :
With the advent of the internet, MajorBBS users migrated to IRC in their own selective groups, bring the action commands with them. Hense, these "actions" would later spread and evolve into the Internet to be used and loved by all.
LOL = Love ol' LOLlipops!
great article. HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHEHEHEHEHE I would like to add this image and also link to ROFL. -- 21:34, 6 September 2006 (UTC)
I changed a few things, but I am not sure if this is going anywhere --Paulgb 15:05, 24 Mar 2005 (EST)
Prooooooobably not. :) --Savethemooses 18:46, 24 Mar 2005 (EST)
Good article, folks. Very creative. --haywired 02:08, 31 Mar 2005 (EST)
This one is undoubtedly the FUNNIEST article on the planet - LOL --22.214.171.124 16:15, 21 Apr 2005 (EDT)
looooooooooooooool wtf ?:D lol= lots of laught or laught out loud :D hihi ;d
Really funny stuff. Good job.
Lollercaust - jolly clever ASCII animation but ditch it please - I don't like it and my name's not even Goldberg
I am Goldberg and I thought it was funny. Oi vey!
What does that picture have to do with the article? SPARTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALokine + myTalk 10:28, 21 July 2006 (UTC)
The Dutch language doesn't use the character ø, dumbasses.-- 126.96.36.199 14:48, 16 October 2006 (UTC)
- Yes thats the problem with this article, the particular language in which a made up word to explain a made up term was randomly chosen to be from doesn't use a random character, FFS--The Right Honourable Maj Sir Elvis UmP KUN FIC MDA VFH Bur. CM and bars UGM F@H (Petition) 15:06, 16 October 2006 (UTC)
Why was the long and funny article cut off to this short and only-half-as-funny article?
Why is this article locked? Ethereal 03:54, 23 January 2007 (UTC)
I say we unprotect -- 16:30, 28 February 2007 (UTC)
- Because it just degenerates in to unfunny crap other wise, with loads of "amusing" ASCII art just check out the history if you don't believe me.--The Right Honourable Maj Sir Elvis UmP KUN FIC MDA VFH Bur. CM and bars UGM F@H (Petition) 15:43, 12 March 2007 (UTC)
- How is this different from any other Uncyclopedia entry? Most frustrating to not be able to edit it... 188.8.131.52 22:09, 6 June 2008 (UTC)
I say we go unprotect. 4m4z1ng 04:00, 3 June 2007 (UTC)
It's unfunny right now. I don't see how it could be worse and it might be better.--Geoffsebesta 19:53, 7 September 2007 (UTC)
I say its gets unprotected too!!! I wanted to add "trapped in quicksand" to the 'lol guy'! cause he has no legs etc. also 'Hundreds of millions of people also agree that Lol is an internet acronym meme for "Lonely old Lady"! Don't believe me, check out this article -Forcefieldmaker
Could somebody with the ability to edit this...
add it to the Three Letters category? Blah Blah Blah 10:15, 22 April 2007 (UTC)
or react to 184.108.40.206's comment about Dutch language not using "ø" - Danish language anyone? Big Pája, 17:49 (GMT+1), 2 May 2007
lol Family Guy Guy 12:49, 28 June 2007 (UTC)
There isnt such a dutch word ass Lolen. dumm ass faggit yerks!.... You suck.... i think so... Well fuck you guys im going home!
User:Jehovah's Wittiness 12:32, 19 August 2007 (UTC)
Wish I could add this...
--User:Banjo2e/SIGGY 15:56, 20 September 2007 (UTC)
- Interwiki Link of ja:ｗ. It has the same meaning of this article.--Ore tatieno 16:22, 30 May 2008 (UTC)
Is it just me or is this article too close to the actual defintion of LOL? Where's the satire, where's the irony of the situation? I know the page is protected but somebody should inject some wit into this article if they can edit it 220.127.116.11 07:55, 10 January 2008 (UTC)
- Are you kidding? Ethereal 14:29, 10 January 2008 (UTC)
- Yes he is LOL -- 06:21, 19 September 2008 (UTC)
We are $2,520 away from our goal. A new web server is needed ASAP. 150 Patriots have donated, including Phyllis Schlafly. HELP Encyclopaedia Dramatica NOW! HELP US BY DONATING FOR A NEW WEB SERVER!
LOL really stands for "Land of Leather" (advaticing conspiracy)
Laughing out loud
LOL also means "Laughing out loud".
- No shit, Sherlock. User:Jedibob5/sig 04:25, 1 March 2009 (UTC)
"long o" is ambiguous. "log" has a "long o" and so does "loop", but they're not pronounced the same.
[[he:LOL]] to page. 18.104.22.168 13:59, 13 February 2009 (UTC)